Close Up’s mission is to inform, inspire, and empower young people to exercise the rights and accept the responsibilities of citizens in a democracy. As a non-profit/non-partisan leader in civic education since 1971, we believe that a strong democracy requires active and informed participation by all citizens; therefore we seek to reach participants of every race, creed, geographical community, socio-economic level, and academic standing. Close Up primarily achieves our mission by engaging Middle and High School students from across the United States on week-long programs based in Washington, DC. Close Up staff leads students through a life-changing educational experience which includes historic sites, iconic monuments and memorials, Smithsonian museums, meetings with elected officials and key public policy experts.
Student Needs Assistants manage the healthcare concerns of students on Close Up’s programs based mostly in Washington, DC. Student Needs Assistants work under the direction of Close Up Program Leaders and our medical care partners at Georgetown University Pediatrics to ensure students get the medical and non-medical care and assistance they need to make a speedy recovery and rejoin our academic program.
A typical day in the life of a Student Needs Assistant varies. If all students are well, Student Needs Assistants follow student program to be available to assist any students that may fall ill. If a student does get sick, Student Needs Assistants liaise with Georgetown Medical Professionals to triage the students’ concerns and may escort the student to a pharmacy to buy medicine, schedule a doctor’s appointment and escort the student to the doctor, or return with the student to the hotel so that they can rest.
Student Needs Assistants work about a 48-hour week, but the job is not nine to five. Hours reflect the program schedule and needs of a given week. Generally this will be 8am-8pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and from 10am-10pm on Wednesdays, however you may be asked to arrive earlier or stay later than those times. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are generally your days off, but there may be a few weeks where your hours are spread across Monday through Friday. There are also a number of weeks when we offer a 2-day New York City program that provides our staff with the exciting opportunity to enjoy the city while working with students and receiving an additional stipend.
We are hiring for a full time position with a contract that will run January 8-June 15, 2018 with opportunities for renewal. The Student Needs Assistant salary is $525 a week plus benefits. Benefits include all scheduled program meals, up to $120 a month in free Metro benefits, Medical, Dental, and Life insurance. We provide paid training at the beginning of the contract including CPR/AED and First Aid Certification.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of students on program who need medical care.
- Assist in transporting students as well as delivering the palliative care directed by our nurses and doctors at Georgetown Pediatrics to assist the students’ quick return to the academic program.
- High school graduate 21 years or older.
- Enjoy and be comfortable interacting with middle and high school students.
- Exhibit patience, understanding, approachability, and flexibility as they will be dealing with students who are not feeling well and are away from home.
- Capable of keeping up with the intensity of the program schedule, hopping on and off buses throughout the day, and coordinating the movement of students on all program activities in the Washington, D.C. area and other program locations. How to apply: To apply, visit www.closeup.org/why-close-up/jobs to fill out an application. Upload a cover letter and resume to complete your application.