External Job Title: Operations Manager, Legal Department
Internal Job Title: Legal Department Manager
Terms of Employment: Full-time/Exempt/Regular
Location: 125 Broad Street, NY, NY 10004 (Due to COVID-19, most of our work is happening remotely but some in-office work will be required for this position, beginning after Labor Day)
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and ranges from $86,269 to $137,977
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis starting Monday, August 16, 2021, until the position is filled
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The NYCLU seeks a person to manage the operations of its Legal Department, which consists of seventeen lawyers, a data analyst, an investigator, three paralegals, and a senior legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts. They also participate in the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU. The Legal Department Manager is a member of the management team of the Legal Department and of the NYCLU's mid-level management team.
· Manage and strengthen Legal Department operations in the following areas: hiring and recruitment, including recruitment of legal fellows and summer interns; professional development, including onboarding, training, and continuing legal education; case-tracking systems; legal resources, including Westlaw and library materials; conflict-checks system, and malpractice insurance;
· Working in conjunction with the NYCLU's IT staff, manage and strengthen the Legal Department's document-management system, discovery-review programs and systems, and record-archiving process;
· Supervise paralegals and legal assistants;
· Support Legal Department staff responsible for court filings;
· Working with the NYCLU's Communications Department, update Legal Department content on the NYCLU's website.
The NYCLU seeks a highly-organized candidate who has experience managing the operations of a service organization (ideally a nonprofit, legal-services one); has substantial experience with office technology (ideally used in conjunction with litigation); has a demonstrated ability to support and supervise staff; has a demonstrated ability to function as part of a management team in a diverse setting; and has a demonstrated ability to promote equity in the workplace. Familiarity with legal filings in New York state and federal courts is a plus. Though not a requirement, a college degree is strongly preferred.
· Substantial experience handling the operations of a service organization (ideally a legal one);
· Highly organized and capable of handling a wide range of tasks;
· Experience working with services technology;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and related programs;
· A commitment to the goals and priorities of the NYCLU, including equity and racial justice;
· Strong supervision skills and enthusiasm for supervising and supporting others;
· An ability to work collaboratively in a diverse workplace and experience in taking the initiative and managing projects effectively.
Please submit your resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/660585/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Legal-Department-Manager . If feasible, please submit these materials as a single PDF.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the communities that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network