About the Sierra Club: Sierra Club is the most enduring and influential grassroots environmental organization in the United States. We amplify the power of our 3.8 million members and supporters to defend everyone’s right to a healthy world. Our work focuses on championing solutions to the climate crisis; working for clean air, safe water, land protection and a vibrant natural world; fighting for environmental and social justice; and getting people outside to enjoy the outdoors. We have 800+ staff located in offices and working remotely across the country. Sierra Club’s employees are changemakers whose work is rooted in our Equity, Inclusion, and Justice values.
We are also proud to be a unionized employer - with two labor unions: the Progressive Workers Union and Sierra Employee Alliance - representing more than half of our employees.
About the role: Reporting to the HR Manager, the Leaves of Absence and Benefits Specialist is a member of the Human Resources Team responsible for providing excellent client service to all staff by driving the Leaves of Absence process in coordination with the HR Partners, Payroll Team, Benefit vendors, outside counsel and providing general HR team support. You’ll be responsible for ensuring our staff are supported through their leaves - including Medical, Parental, and Sabbatical leaves. The Leaves of Absence and Benefit Specialist also supports the Benefits Administrator in routine tasks and special projects including: assisting employees with their benefit enrollment process, entering and reporting accurate employee benefit data base information, auditing and paying all insurance bills, maintaining employee benefit records and responding to and resolving routine Benefit questions with staff.
1. Leaves of Absence Administration (75%)
○ Eligible leave types available to those employees who qualify include and are not limited to: Family/Parental (Family, Intermittent, Intermittent Medical), FMLA, Intermittent FMLA, Short Term Disability (STD), Long Term Disability (LTD), State Disability (SDI, if applicable), ADA, Personal, Administrative, Sabbatical, Worker’s Comp, Local/State/Federal options and Sierra Club Leave and Time Off options in accordance with internal policy and applicable laws.
○ Advises managers and employees on the interaction of leave laws and regulations with paid time off, workers’ compensation, and short-term and long-term disability benefits. Facilitates other leave requests, which may include accommodation requests under the ADA, FMLA, state and federal laws and regulations.
○ Improves Leaves of Absence and Benefit processes by engaging key stakeholders to evaluate, co-create and implement streamlined procedures, communications, forms and HRIS.
○ Ownership of evaluating, planning, developing and implementing new Sierra Club Leaves of Absence training/s for Managers.
2. Benefit Administrator Support (25%)
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network