Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Safe Horizon’s Facilities and Property Management Department (FPM) is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of its office and residential shelter facilities across New York City. The Residential Shelter Maintenance Worker is assigned to one of Safe Horizon’s eight residential facilities that provide safe, temporary housing for victims of domestic violence and their families.
Under the supervision of the Lead Maintenance Worker, the Residential Shelter Maintenance Worker performs a full range of custodial duties necessary to ensure that the facility is maintained in a clean, safe and comfortable manner. They will also perform basic maintenance and repair tasks as necessary. This position entails working in a supportive housing setting with clients and their families, and requires that employees possess an understanding and appreciation of the sensitive nature of working an environment of this type.
Specific Job Functions:
- Cleaning all elements of the facility’s offices, common areas, exteriors, and residential units. Specific tasks include sweeping and mopping floors, wiping down walls and furniture, and similar duties;
- Preparing vacated residential units for new clients by thoroughly cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, painting where needed, installing window blinds, moving and setting up furniture;
- Performing a variety of general and ongoing maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs, replacing batteries in detector devices, moving supplies furniture and client belongings as needed;
- Performing light construction duties such as dry wall patching and painting, light fixture repair, unclogging sinks and toilets, installing and removing window air conditioning units;
- Utilizing various types of hand and power tools (drills, saws, etc).
- Ability to perform physical activities including climbing stairs, moving furniture and equipment, working with tools and equipment, and lifting and moving items of up to 35lbs;
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team, taking direction from a supervisor, and completing tasks on an assigned schedule;
- Experience working in a facility/building maintenance capacity.
- High school diploma/G.E.D. or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Certification in a building trade, maintenance, building system and/or equipment repair;
- Valid New York State driver’s license;
- Experience working in a supporting housing and/or residential setting;
- Familiarity with the operation of basic building systems such as boilers and heating systems, fire suppression and alarm systems, and plumbing systems.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network