Based in Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to an average of 260,000 people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974. Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than almost any other food bank in the country, through a network of 309 nonprofit partners at 985 sites. Second Harvest is pursuing innovative efforts to increase access to food resources as it seeks to feed more hungry people each month. To reach more people, it advocates for anti-hunger policies and connects those in need to federal nutrition programs and other food resources. To learn more about how Second Harvest is building a hunger-free community, visit SHFB.org.
About the Position
Are you a successful major gift fundraiser who enjoys prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding C-Suite and Silicon Valley philanthropists? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in our community with a respected and well-resourced non-profit organization? Do you want to enjoy a work-life balance here in Silicon Valley?
In this role, you will be responsible for stewarding a portfolio of current and prospective major donors and deepening their engagement with Second Harvest. Your relationship building skills and comfort with soliciting large gifts will lead you to meet and exceed annual revenue targets to help the team achieve the overall fundraising goal.
Our department has these six core values: 1) We are in it together. 2) Build trust through transparency. 3). We are grateful. 4) Make progress every day. 5) We celebrate. 6) Our clients are the core of what we do.
• A collaborative and supportive team environment.
• An strong non-profit brand and long-standing partnerships with leading private and public organizations
• The support of top philanthropists in Silicon Valley.
• A mature major gifts program.
This might be a job for you if:
• You have exhibited success in Silicon Valley fundraising with 7+ years of progressively increasing development experience, and have done major gift fundraising of 6-figure+ gifts.
• You are comfortable managing a portfolio of 100-130 major gift prospects and donors.
• You are proactive, a self-starter, and donor-centric.
• You are sophisticated and comfortable dealing with C-Suite donors and local philanthropists. You will be expected to conduct face-to-face meetings, phone calls, and solicit gifts to meet financial goals.
• You enjoy the challenge of creating major gift stewardship and customized solicitation strategies for current and prospective Silicon Valley donors.
• You devise creative updgrade strategies for your donors.
• You have experience giving ‘white glove’ service to donors and prospects, engaging with them as a partner in their philanthropic journey.
• You have the soft and analytical skills to glean donors’ philanthropic motivations.
• You are an exceptional team player and excel at creating innovative solutions.
• You are comfortable using wealth screening software, database tools, and other technologies for data-driven decision making.
• You enjoy writing major gift solicitation proposals, letters, stewardship reports, and other fundraising communications.
• You collaborate well with other departments including: Marketing, Finance, and Development Operations.
• You have experience preparing senior leadership, including the CEO for donor meetings, and leverage up senior leadership for stewarding key donors.
• You think out of the box to find creative ways to prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
• You believe in practicing ethical fundraising and handle donor relationships with discretion and diplomacy.
• Bachelor's degree or higher.
• Seven or more years of experience in fundraising, with four or more years doing major gift fundraising.
• Significant level of computer proficiency, including MS Office and donor databases.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends as needed.
• Ability to travel locally to meet donors as needed.
Senior Major Gift Officer (aka Individual Philanthropy Officer)
Individual Philanthropy Manager
4001 North First Street, San Jose CA 95134
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Generous health benefits, Flexible Time Off (FTO) starting at 200 hours per year, 10 paid holidays, and an excellent retirement savings plan.