Power of Two is a nonprofit organization that coaches parents to provide their babies with the best care possible, laying the foundation for success in school and life. Our program is among the most rigorously researched, promising long term results for children.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development and Communications Manager is responsible for actively supporting the fundraising and communications activities for Power of Two. The Manager works closely with the Executive Director, the Board Chair and board members to identify, solicit and steward gifts in support of Power of Two’s mission. This includes but is not limited to assisting in the annual appeal, major gift solicitation, writing grants, planned giving, strategic planning and planning events. An integral and essential role is the development of effective, targeted communications to all stakeholder groups, continually seeking to inform and inspire.
The Development and Communications Manager will also plan and implement public relations and marketing activities in this role. The Development and Communications Manager will work to continually raise the visibility of the organization in the community through public relations, including but not limited to email communications, website and social media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Other duties may be assigned. On an ongoing basis regular duties include the following:
· Fundraising – Help establish short and long-range goals. Help strategize and organize methods of approach to institutional donors. Research public and private grant sources (agencies, corporations, foundations and individuals) to identify sources of funding. Work with program staff to develop funding-related projects. Organize individual donor campaigns (e.g., major donors, direct mail, matching gifts, and board of trustees) and events.
· Grant Writing – Solicit and write proposals and reports for federal, state, city government RFP’s as well as private foundation and corporate funding opportunities.
· Major Gift/Donor Support – Produce major donor, board, and special category solicitations/support materials with the intent to retain or upgrade gifts when possible. Cultivate donors by producing specialized correspondences, preparing letters of acknowledgement, and scheduling and attending in-person site visits.
· Database and Records Management – Responsible for maintaining Salesforce records of contributors and grants. Maintain security and quality controls. Generate queries, reports, exports, and any other collection of data as needed.
· Communications & Public Relations – Supervise most development and public affairs matters, particularly the creation of various communications such as the annual report, general boilerplate content, general PowerPoint presentations, manage government relations, executive correspondences and speeches. Produces general content for website. Prepare press releases, with the approval of the Executive Director. Regular email communication to donors and potential donors.
· Board Relations – Manage preparation of materials for quarterly board meetings. Schedule board meetings.
· Minimum of 5 years of nonprofit fundraising/development experience, preferably with significant foundation and large individual donor fundraising experience;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Familiarity with early childhood issues; familiarity with community development preferred
· Excellent research, organizational and communications skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
· Experience and comfort working with senior level executives and Board of Directors
· High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative taking
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically and a thorough understanding of strategic development
· Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new accounts
· Strong partnership-building and event planning skills
· Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base
· Strong computer skills and proficient with Salesforce and Microsoft Office required; MailChimp, WordPress preferred
· Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience. Understanding of local/national service and education a plus.
Full health care benefits and paid vacation
Full Time – exempt position
Please submit your resume, cover letter and writing sample to Meghin Rooney at firstname.lastname@example.org