On the Boards, Seattle’s home for contemporary dance, theater and multidisciplinary performance, seeks a Communications Associate. This person is detail-oriented, and has proven experience and success in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Organization Description: On the Boards is a 39-year-old arts organization located in Seattle, Washington. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary in 2018 – and the 2018/2019 season will feature community and fundraising events, as well as a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
The organization owns and operates the Behnke Center for Contemporary Performance located in Seattle's Lower Queen Anne neighborhood. The facility includes multiple art and performances spaces, including a 300-seat Merrill Wright Theater, and a flexible Studio Theater.
OtB has repeatedly been the first art center in our region to introduce audiences to the world’s most forward-thinking artists like Spalding Gray, Bebe Miller, Phillipe Quesne, The Wooster Group, Reggie Watts, Gisele Vienne, David Byrne, Laurie Anderson, Pat Graney, Crystal Pite, Zoe|Juniper, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Dayna Hanson, and Dani Tirrell. This extraordinary roster of artists, among many others have played a vital role in On the Boards’ history, and its reputation in the field as one of the best places in the country to develop, perform, and view contemporary performance. Our next performance is Rachel Mars’ Our Carnal Hearts, September 13-15, 2018.
On the Boards operates with a $1.64 million budget and a staff of 15. Our programming includes regional and international commissions and performance presentations, in addition to new initiatives that center a diversity of artists and their creative ideas, which increases a greater understanding of racial and social equity within our community. We also run OntheBoards.tv, a publishing platform that functions as a streaming subscription service and an archive for ground-breaking artistic projects and contemporary performances and is used in all 50 states, 157 countries, and by thousands of students at over 125 universities worldwide.
On the Boards has a well-earned reputation for hitting above its weight. Organization Mission and Values: On the Boards invests in leading contemporary performing artists near and far, and connects them to a diverse range of communities interested in forward-thinking art and ideas. We believe if we are successful in our work that we can grow our field, enrich people's lives, and contribute to civic and global dialogues. We value:
● artistic risks while being fiscally responsible;
● leadership in our field and the multiple communities we serve to strategically advance the role contemporary artists play in society;
● racial and social equity, and accountability;
● provocative art as a vehicle to connect people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
● our regional creative community as we engage with international artists and peers;
● professional and transparent management.
A Note About On the Boards Workplace Culture: On the Boards honors collaboration, respect, humor, and the humanity of its employees, Board members, and volunteers. We regularly acknowledge that life happens, friends and family are important, and that working in a small non-profit is much better with likable, hard-working colleagues. On the Boards is made up, at every level, of individuals who will change the light bulbs, empty a trash can when needed, or step up to represent the organization in a professional and energetic way. The organization is prioritizing racial equity in the workplace. An equity task force, made up of staff and board members, has implemented regular trainings and workshops and has developed an equity toolkit for decision-making. Our work is ongoing, and we are looking for a new member of our team whose experience and qualifications can help us make our workplace and practices more racially equitable.
Communications Associate The Communications Associate enhances awareness of OtB, and helps to build audience, ensuring that the media, the field, our community, and the public know who we are, what we do, why it matters, and what sets us apart.
• Develop, implement, and evaluate marketing/PR campaigns designed to meet or exceed revenue, attendance, and engagement goals
• Support OtB’s racial and social equity goals
• Support clear and effective communications for all OtB performances, programs, and operations Responsibilities Communications & Public Relations
• Draft press releases in collaboration with internal teams
• Write and edit content for print/digital collateral in collaboration with internal teams
• Build relationships with print and online media, arts writers, and influencers
• Build relationships with community contacts and organizations to support audience engagement strategy
• Use templates to produce program booklets, signage, and collateral for performances
• Collaborate with Designer on brand positioning and standards Digital Media
• Manage and produce weekly e-newsletters using MailChimp and Patron Manager
• Manage OtB’s social media presence; schedule, post, and respond to relevant online content
• Manage content updates to ontheboards.org; coordinate with Designer on content and user experience strategy
• Measure and report impact of content and campaigns in digital media channels Advertising & Marketing
• Develop and implement promotional campaigns designed to meet or exceed revenue, attendance, and engagement goals
• Negotiate advertising contracts and secure media sponsorships
• Coordinate direct mail projects with Designer • Measure and report impact of campaigns Qualifications
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Excels in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to manage several projects simultaneously with accurate and timely results
• Expert at social media
• Ability to work in a highly collaborative, open-office environment; excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
• Experience working in a communications role, preferably within an arts or cultural organization Skills
• Excellent writing skills that o Help shape and execute OtB’s brand voice o Help translate curatorial language for a wide range of potential audiences (including students, first-time ticket buyers, etc.)
• Strong project management skills (including ability to use project management software like Asana)
• Ability to work across teams to develop insightful narratives and promotional campaigns in support of key communications priorities.
• Familiarity with layout tools in Adobe InDesign (for templated performance programs and flyers)
Status: Part-Time Regular (30 hours weekly)
Reports to: Executive Director
Collaborates with: Designer, Artistic Director, Associate Producer, Director of Audience Services, Development Director
Compensation: $26,250-28,500 for .75 FTE, ($16.82-$18.26 per hour) Commensurate with experience Benefits: Eligible for partially-subsidized medical, vision, and dental insurance as well as shortterm and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment and life insurance. Employee must contribute a percentage as payroll deduction. Additional benefits include a subsidized ORCA card or parking pass and generous paid time off including 12 holidays, vacation, and sick leave. On the Boards is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse, accessible workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Our building and offices are ADA accessible and we strive to make any additional accommodations. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Must have, or be willing to acquire, legal authorization to work in the United States.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com (subject line: Communications and PR Search)
Position open until filled.
Deadline: September 3, 2018.
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network