Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Vice-President of Human Resources Hours: Full Time/Non-Exempt Location/Regions: Stamford, CT
How to apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
MISSION: Understanding of and commitment to buildOn’s mission, methodology, and core values. GRIT: Tries hard and never gives up on mission and getting results. COMMITMENT TO METHODOLOGY & STRATEGY: Demonstrates mastery and discipline around methodology. Leans in and contributes to the strategic plan that will guide our future.
Overview of the organization
buildOn is a not-for-profit organization working to break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education. buildOn is not a charity, it’s a movement. In the United States, we run intensive service learning programs in 40 underserved high schools in six major cities. Through these programs, buildOn empowers youth to transform their communities through high-impact service. Over the last 27 years buildOn has empowered more than 100,000 urban youth to contribute more than 2.1 million hours of service that has touched the lives of more than 1.0 million people living below the U.S. poverty line. 97% of these youth graduate high school and nearly all of these go to college, even though 40% of the kids going to the same schools drop out.
Teams of buildOn students from our programs also fan out across the world to help build schools in the economically poorest countries on the planet. We have now built over 1,300 schools in Haiti, Nicaragua, Mali, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Malawi and Nepal. More than 2.1 million children, parents and grandparents have attended these schools so far, while more than 160,000 attend buildOn schools every day. 50% of all students are girls or women. Most importantly, community members have organized leadership committees and contributed more than 2.1 million volunteer work days to literally build their schools.
Overview of the Role
buildOn is looking for an experienced professional to join the Human Resources Team as a Human Resources Manager. The HR Manager will partner with the VP of Human Resources to ensure continuous operational efficiencies and promote excellence throughout ONE buildOn. While serving as the first line of contact within HR, you will collaborate and consult with all levels of employees on a wide range of HR issues. You will be responsible for collaborating with hiring managers in order to build and maintain a diverse pipeline of talent; create sourcing, interviewing, and recruitment plans for all open positions. The HR Manager will be responsible for applying business knowledge and human resources expertise. The HR Manager will oversee recruitment, administration and will provide a wide range of HR support. In this key role, you will also partner with the VP of HR; collaborating and supporting new and exciting innovative initiatives, such as our inaugural Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) council. The HR Manager will play an integral role in supporting and helping to drive buildOn’s Diversity & Inclusion strategies across ONE buildOn giving you exposure to individuals all over the world.
The ideal candidate is a proactive life-long learner that can manage multiple priorities, has superior organizational skills, maintains an enthusiastic and professional attitude, and excels in a fast-paced high performance environment. The Human Resource Manager must also be a self-starter taking on challenges independently and professionally. This is a great opportunity for a passionate, driven, experienced human resources professional to help shape and execute the vision for human resources across an entrepreneurial and growing global organization.
• Oversight and co-management of the recruitment process, interviews and the hiring process
o Partner and support Hiring Managers to determine staffing needs, conduct job analysis,
co-create job descriptions, manage job postings, screen resumes, and conduct phone screens
o Conduct traditional and nontraditional Diversity recruitment strategies, such as career
and job fairs, attending affinity networking events; to identify and attract qualified candidates
o Facilitate new and innovate ideas to creatively market open positions for optimal
candidate sourcing and position exposure
• Manage the employee lifecycle; Onboarding and Offboarding process management for Exempt, Non-Exempt and Interns team members
• Lead, plan and conduct new employee orientation, prepare new hire “welcome packets” to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives
• Serve as a front-line support for employees; handling questions, interpreting and administering policies and procedures in order to help resolve work-related problems
• Maintain accurate master records and compile statistical (HRIS) reports concerning personnel- related changes; such as new hires, transfers, terminations, performance appraisals & merit increases, address and/or personal change
• Maintain all employment related government related HR metrics reports and records, EEO-1 Annual Surveys Reports, ACA-1095 Benefits Reports, and I-9 verifications
• Coordinate the employee change payroll process via our payroll system; Paycom
• Plan, direct, supervise, and coordinate work activities of part-time staff and Interns
• Conduct new hire check in’s and exit interviews to ensure positive employee engagement and identify areas that can be improved
• Initiate and recommend process improvement and operational activities to support new initiatives centered around ONE buildOn such as Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
• Provide administrative support to the VP of HR and CFO
• Earnest and sincere commitment to buildOn’s Mission and Core Values.
• BA/BS in Human Resources, Organizational Psychology or Business-related degree, plus 3-5 years of hands-on HR experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
• 1-3 years’ experience as a Recruiter or Hiring Manager with the ability to convey and screen for buildOn’s mission & core values and required core competencies.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate professionally with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Keen attention to detail, meticulous follow up skills, proactive, organizational and time- management skills are a must.
• Must be able to act independently with minimal supervision and be solution-oriented.
• Must have the ability to deal with confidential and sensitive situations aligned ethical & inclusive leadership, compassion, responsibility and empowerment.
• Knowledge of employment laws and employee relations best practices.
• Computer systems proficiency (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Paycom or other HRIS experience.
buildOn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For additional information, please visit our website at www.buildon.org