Director of Individual Giving and Special Events
Theatre Communications Group, the national organization for the American theatre, seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial senior fundraising professional to lead its individual giving and special events efforts.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, and working closely with the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Individual Giving and Special Events will serve on the senior leadership team of the organization along with the Director of Institutional Advancement and Partnerships who spearheads all foundation, corporation and sponsorship activities as part of a separate department of the organization.
The Individual Giving and Special Events Department has a total of three members: a Director, a Development Manager, and Development Associate who both report to the Director. The Director should have a commitment to TCG’s mission, core values, and an entrepreneurial attitude toward fulfilling it; the ability to successfully lead and work with a diverse staff, Board, and body of partners; outstanding interpersonal skills and exemplary work practices; strong attention to detail and meticulous dependability; and commitment to learning and growth for oneself and others.
The successful candidate will be working with theatre leaders and theatre trustees from around the country to achieve TCG’s goals in individual giving. We are seeking someone with significant experience in major gifts and special events who brings a can-do, entrepreneurial, and enthusiastic disposition to the job and who can inspire others to do their best work.
What You Will be Doing
• Create strategy and oversee all individual giving activities including major gift identification, cultivation, and solicitation.
• Clearly articulates and promotes a strong case of need for philanthropy and builds opportunities to create and sustain a culture that understands the relationship between philanthropy and TCG’s programs and services.
• Possess a portfolio of potential major gift prospects and current donors.
• Drive fundraising activity aggressively for TCG CEO and COO, providing them with the necessary information and tools to succeed in their own outreach.
• Create annual strategy around all Event activity including the Gala, cultivation events and donor fulfillment gatherings. Drive fundraising for the Gala to meet revenue goals. Work with special event planning company on other aspects of event.
• Create strategy and oversee execution of annual letter, email and digital appeals.
• Create annual Development plan, present to stakeholders and track on its execution.
• Participate in efforts to feed the pipeline of prospective Board members.
• Create and monitor department revenue and expense budgets.
• Work cross-organizationally to create new ways of elevating the organization’s philanthropic messaging in all its programming, printed, and digital assets.
What You Need for this Role
• Proven track record of fundraising success, particularly by securing major gifts of $10,000+, successfully managing campaigns, and engaging a community of motivated supporters.
• Experience in creating and executing events with 300+ guests.
• Knowledge of and contacts within the New York City theatre philanthropic circles. National theatre contacts and networks, a plus.
• A minimum of 5 years of managerial experience directing the efforts of early-career fundraisers.
• Raiser’s Edge experience, a plus.
• Ability to balance multiple priorities in a complex environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to engage individual donors in the mission of TCG.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please include “Director of Individual Giving and Special Events” in the subject line and email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. All materials must be sent via email. No phone calls! We will respond only to those resumes in which we have interest.
All application materials must be received by 5:00pm on Friday, April 13, 2018 or until the position is filled. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received, so applicants are encouraged to submit their materials prior to the deadline.
TCG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (ED&I) in our hiring process, as well as in all areas of our work. At TCG we believe that diverse ideas, cultures, and traditions reflect the broad diversity of the US and are vital assets which enrich the programs and services TCG provides for the theatre field. We respect intersectionality of identities and are committed to EDI in all areas of our work and workplace. People of color, LGBTQ+, and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.