The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Under the supervision of the SilverSneakers® Senior Advisor, the Specialty Instructor will be able to teach a variety of classes. He/she is responsible for instructing the classes under the YMCA guidelines and assisting the Senior Advisor in meeting the goals and objectives of the Sherwood Regional Family YMCA.
* Instruct program classes in YMCA, Healthways, and American Specialty Health format and under YMCA guidelines.
* Keep accurate statistics: turn in attendance forms in a timely manner.
* Arrive 15 minutes early to set up and prepar e for class and talk with participants. Allow time after class to talk with participants and meet their needs.
* Follow YMCA policies and procedures (dress code, etc.)
* Attend all staff meetings.
* Meet educational and mission goals for the class and the Sherwood Regional Family YMCA.
* Membership retention duties including, but not limited to knowing names of members, assisting members in classes, being enthusiastic, encouraging and personable when interacting with participants.
* Assist in Annual Campaign by identifying names for campaigners and leadership.
* Have an organized daily lesson plan; come prepared for class and follow the plan.
* Find own substitute for classes, and have approved by supervisor.
* Maintain current CPR, First Aid, and Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise, and all certifications required to do the job.
* Teaching classes aimed at the Active Older Adult
* Responsible for instructing classes under the SilverSneakers® or Silver&Fit® format
* Needs to be a team player
* Be willing to sub other instructors classes
* Help organize social events
* Attend events to build relationship with members
* Needs to be empathetic to the age group and be patient, kind and supportive to all members
* Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
* Commit to establishing long-term relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families.
* Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff and give directions in authoritative, yet tactful manner.
* Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
* Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate management techniques.
* Ability to perform high/low aerobics fitness, starter fitness, body sculpting, step aerobics, kickboxing, studio cycle, yoga formatted classes
* Current First Aid, CPR/AED certification
* Completion of Silver&Fit and/or SilverSneakers certification
* Must pass YMCA background check
* Two to four years' experience instructing group exercise
* YMCA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles and Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise
1. Demonstrates in w ord and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents an d care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: CollaborNation, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
11. Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence and sense of security to all who seek it.
12. Employs influence strategies that engage, motivate and build commitment to the cause and overall Y goals.
23000 SW Pacific Highway
Sherwood, OR 97140
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: US$18 - US$25 per hour + ymcacw.org/careers