About the Organization:
The mission of New Moms is to express the love of God by surrounding young moms and their children with all they need to transform their lives. New Moms is a 33 year old nonprofit organization, with a budget of about $3 million and a staff of about 40, focused on serving young moms in Chicago and the near western suburbs. New Moms’ model provides a comprehensive range of services to young moms and their children including supportive transitional housing, workforce development, early childhood services, and parenting support and education. New Moms’ headquarters is located on the west side of Chicago in the Austin neighborhood. Our social enterprise, Bright Endeavors, which provides paid transitional jobs for young moms, is located nearby in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. We also have an office in Oak Park serving the near western suburbs.
About the Job:
New Moms innovative Transformation Center Housing (TCH) program serves 40 homeless young moms (ages 18-24) and their children with comprehensive housing and support services in a single-site, single-family apartment model. This half-time Housing Locator Specialist is an integral team member, working to advance the mission of New Moms. We seek a professional who has a proven track record in identifying and cultivating housing opportunities for participants by developing relationships with landlords and identifying housing that is suitable to maximize the permanent housing success of participants. He/she must be an exceptional communicator and relationship-builder who can work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Salary: $16-18/hour DOE.
• Identifies housing that is suitable to the individual needs of each participant including permanent supportive housing, low-income and market rate units and provides these resources to participants to maximize the permanent housing success of participants.
• Conducts outreach and engagement with landlords, permanent supportive housing and other subsidized housing programs to identify potential housing options that meet the needs of residents according to individualized service plans. (via cold calls, follow-ups, unplanned drop-ins, in person meetings, email/mailed communication.)
• Works extensively with the housing team staff to support exit planning and appropriate resources that meet the needs of participants.
• Coordinates monthly life skills workshops that promote increased life skills and plan for positive exits from program.
• Leads search efforts with participants for independent affordable housing as well as various permanent supportive housing programs.
The successful candidate will posses:
• Commitment to the mission of New Moms
• Bachelor Degree preferred with 1-2 years in a social service setting required
• Broad knowledge of housing resources; experience working with landlords and housing people with substantial barriers.
• Expertise in an array of housing subsidy programs including HUD, PSH and Chicago Low-Income Housing Trust Fund Programs
• Endorses a Family-Centered, Trauma-Informed, Strengths-Based practice model that integrates harm reduction, motivational interviewing and positive youth development practices in working with young moms and their children required
• High attention to detail and results-oriented approach to the work
• Strong computer skills including use of electronic data bases
• Position requires utmost integrity; ethical behavior and appropriate business practices are expected
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills, and ability to work both collaboratively and independently
New Moms’ Benefits: We offer a benefits package to part-time employees including matching on retirement savings up to 3%; 16 paid holidays; and generous paid