Who we are.
KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. There are currently 141 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving over 50,000 students. Eighty-seven percent of our students are from low-income families and eligible for the federal free or reduced price meals program, and more than ninety five percent are African American or Latino.
Today, KIPP Massachusetts serves over 800 students in our three schools in Boston and Lynn and over 200 alumni in our KIPP Through College Program which supports students on their journey “to and through college.” In 2014, KIPP: MA opened our first elementary school in Boston and will expand all three of our existing schools to serve more students. By 2020 we plan to serve over 2,500 students in six schools in Lynn and Boston, MA.
What we do & why it matters.
KIPP builds a partnership among parents, students, and teachers that puts learning first. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school learning, and a strong culture of achievement, we are focused on helping all of our students climb the mountain to college. Nationally, more than 90% of KIPP middle school alumni have graduated high school, and more than 80% of KIPP alumni have gone on to college. By 2015, over 10,000 KIPPsters will be attending colleges throughout the country.
One of KIPP MA’s highest strategic priorities is supporting our staff: to recruit, develop, manage, support, and retain a diverse, high-performing staff that fulfills KIPP MA’s mission. The Human Resources Coordinator plays a critical role by supporting and maintaining effective HR & Compliance systems and policies while providing outstanding HR customer service to leaders and staff in our schools and regional office. As a member of the Regional Office Operations Team, the HR Coordinator reports to the Human Resources Generalist and works closely with other regional office and school-based staff. Overall, this person will be successful if KIPP MA staffs are able to fully access policies and benefits to support them in doing their best work for KIPP MA students. If successful, we will see this person’s work contribute significantly to our organizational culture in a way that deepens our staff’s commitment to this community. The ideal candidate for this role will have a general understanding of HR systems and procedures, experience with employee benefits and on boarding, and enthusiasm for initiatives that will increase the sustainability of KIPP MA’s hard-working staff. As KIPP MA grows, there is much opportunity for the growth of this role. This position will serve as the daily contact for HR related questions and specific projects for KIPP MA’s staff of over 250 employees.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Benefits, Compensation & Payroll Support
- Ensure that employees are enrolled into selected benefits and retirement plans in a prompt manner.
- Serve as a liasion between employees and benefit broker to ensure that employee information changes, such as address updates, name changes ensuring proper forms and process are completed in a timely fashion.
- Prepare Payroll Templates for Finance
- Serves as a point of contact for staff HR questions
Employee Hiring, Onboarding and Offboarding
- Process pre-employment paperwork and verifications and post employment notices
- Coordinates pre-employment background checks and fingerprinting with new hires
- Create new personnel files; ensure required documents are in place, filed & recorded accordingly
- Interface employees to ensure that all new hire paperwork is completed accurately and timely
- Submits requests to the IT helpdesk for new employee email, systems access, phones, computers
- Submits requests to the Facility team to notify of building access needs
- Assist and be present at all orientations and various on-boarding and open enrollment events
- Assist in the coordination of exit interviews and follow up with the collection of pertinent equipment etc.
HRIS, Data, & Compliance
- Respond to requests for data and deliver appropriate analysis on an ad hoc basis
- Interfaces with staff across all KIPP MA to collect required paperwork on current staff for data reports and files
- Assist with compliance and internal/external audits by collecting and compiling data
- Complete HR audits as necessary to ensure accurate and complete information is retained
- Maintain HR data integrity
- Maintain confidential electronic and paper personnel files
- Maintain HR Boards and Postings, update monthly
HR Administration Support
- Assist with coordination of employee events and recognition
- Assist with HR Programs, research projects, benchmarking, vendor bids, and other special events
- Ensure all employees are 100% accurate and up-to-date
- Coordinate annual HR PDs and training across all KIPP MA
- Coordinate annual Employee Handbook distribution across all KIPP MA
- Coordinate annual flu shot clinic across all KIPP MA campuses
- Coordinate and execute Birthday emails, postings, and mailings
- Coordinate and execute weekly shout outs
- Special projects and other duties as assigned by the direct manager
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Experience in using and managing ADP, Google suite of products, and HRIS software (preferred)
- Mid to High proficiency knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) (required)
- Knowledge of employee benefits and on boarding (required)
- Flexibility with time, tasks, and schedule a must (some traveling required)
- 1-3 years experience in human resources related functions (required)
- Unwavering integrity and ability to handle and maintain sensitive and confidential employment information with discretion (required)
- Experience in nonprofit setting or K-12 education (preferred)
- Results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done
- Highly organized; ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to produce high quality work in a dynamic environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills required to work with a broad group of stakeholders with different interests and needs
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
- Strong judgment and decision-making skills
- Highly motivated and self directed learner
- Alignment with KIPP:MA mission, values, culture, and team.
- Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
The position of HR Coordinator is an exempt, full time, 12 month, salaried position. Traveling between school locations (Boston and Lynn) and off-site meetings within the greater Boston and Lynn areas will be required. KIPP MA is an employment at-will organization. Work schedule will be determined by the hiring manager.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. We offer a competitive benefits program and an abundance of additional incentives. For all eligible employees, our benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, paid-time off (vacation/sick), flexible spending account options, short term and long term disability, life insurance, 403(b) plan and a proactive and accessible HR department that focuses on the staff’s health and happiness. KIPP MA offers their employees a laptop computer, school e-mail account, school cell phone, and high-speed internet access.
If you do not currently work for the KIPP:MA team, please visit our job board at http://kippcareers.force.com/jobboard?site=Massachusetts and complete an online application.
KIPP MA is committed to providing a great work environment, where our expectation is that everyone will be treated with respect and dignity. We are actively working to diversify our staff so that our school may better reflect the community we serve. Candidates of color, multi-lingual, and first generation college graduate candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. KIPP Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate, and strives to create an inclusive working environment in order to attract talented people from all backgrounds—regardless of race, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.